From the 1st June 2020 stage 2 of easing restrictions in QLD have been implemented. This means some businesses can increase the number of customers they can offer a service to, provided they are following an industry approved COVID Safe plan.
If you are a business within an industry you do not need to develop your own COVID Safe plan, provided you have opted in to follow an industry COVID Safe plan.
You will need to opt into an industry COVID safe plan
- check the COVID-19 website for your relevant approved industry COVID Safe plan
- complete the statement of compliance included in the approved plan
- display the completed statement prominently in your premises before you start trading with additional customers from Stage 2.
What is an industry approved COVID Safe plan?
Industry COVID Safe plans are developed by an industry peak body or representative group for businesses within that industry to follow. The plan must clearly outline how businesses will operate and must satisfy Queensland’s Chief Health Officer.
Eligible business who are following an industry COVID Safe plan can operate beyond the limits prescribed in the roadmap, provided they are following social and physical distancing requirements.
Some industry COVID Safe plans may allow for a higher number of people than current restrictions allow.
From Stage 3, if your business is following an industry COVID Safe plan, you will be able to offer services to the maximum number of people you can fit on your businesses premises. You must still comply with the 1 person per 4 square metre rule.
What are the Eligible Industries?
- fitness (e.g. gyms, health clubs and yoga studios)
- hospitality (e.g. restaurants and cafes, pubs, clubs and hotels)
- tourism experiences (e.g. charter fishing boats and 4WD experiences)
What are the requirements of an industry COVID Safe plan?
An industry COVID Safe plan can be developed by:
- an industry representative group
- a group of businesses within an industry.
Plans should be developed in consultation with relevant unions, workers and industry groups. You must include evidence of consultations when submitting your plan.
There is no template for the plan but to understand what health authorities will be looking for when assessing your plan, please read the industry COVID Safe plan guide for more information.
What do industry COVID Safe plans include?
- checklists for individual businesses to follow
- best practice guidelines
- how relevant public health directions apply to your industry
- how to review plan effectiveness
- a statement of compliance for individual businesses to display additional information such as:
- a list of frequently asked questions
- contact details for further support (e.g. relevant unions, regulators and employer groups)
To ensure consistency of safety standards and compliance, Queensland Health will only approve 1 industry COVID Safe plan per industry. If there are multiple associations within an industry, these groups should develop a plan together or select 1 plan to submit for approval.
Site Specific Plans
A site specific plan will be permitted if your business is larger in scale.
The only businesses considered suitable for site-specific COVID Safe plans are:
- large outdoor amusement parks
- convention centres
- major outdoor events (held in venues without an existing site-specific or industry COVID Safe plan)
- concert venues
- theatres and auditoriums with seating capacity greater than 1,000
Submitting an industry COVID Safe plan
All completed industry COVID Safe plans must be submitted to Queensland Health for approval.
Email your completed plan to COVID-19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au.
Plans will be considered and approved by the Chief Health Officer. Site-specific plans may be delegated to a relevant health authority for approval.
To see a list of approved industry COVID Safe plans, you can visit the Queensland Government’s COVID-19 website.